We’re all going to get older, but you don’t necessarily have to age!
So contradictory, but hear me out…
We can’t slow down the progress of time, which means we’re going to get older one day after the other.
You can’t fight the progress of time, there are things within your power to slow down aging and keep your body as fresh, healthy, and youthful as possible.
Here are a few longevity (the so-called anti-aging) secrets that you should adopt today if you want to stop aging from stealing your youth prematurely:
1. Exfoliate regularly – Exfoliating removes the dead skin cells that build up on your skin, allowing your body to produce new, fresh, and healthy skin cells. Using an exfoliating scrub containing alpha hydroxyl acid or beta hydroxyl acid (AKA salicylic acid) regularly—at least three or four times a week, depending on your skin—will do wonders to keep your skin in good shape and slow the signs of aging.
2. Be Sun-Smart – You need to spend at least 30 minutes in the sun every day in order to absorb enough Vitamin D to remain healthy. Vitamin D is critical for your internal functions, playing a role in everything from bone density to fat loss. However, you need to be sun-smart, which means protecting yourself from excessive sunlight and radiation. Make sure to use UV-protective sunscreen whenever you spend more than 30 minutes in the sun or use UV-tinted makeup and skin creams to stop the sunlight from damaging your skin.
3. Stand Up and Move More – Spending a lot of time sitting down will age your musculoskeletal system faster than nearly anything else. All that inactivity will weaken your muscles and put added pressure on your spine. Make it a habit to stand up and love around more. Try using a standing desk, or at the very least get-up and take a short walk every hour.
4. Sleep Better – Make a sleep schedule and stick to it, even if that means sacrificing some fun. Good quality sleep will help you manage and lose weight, improve your metabolism, maintain good brain function, increase productivity, and so much more. And remember, your body does most of its repairs overnight, so the more you sleep, the more you give your body time to repair the damage done to your organs, skin, muscles, joints, and bones in the daytime.
5. Lift Weights – Running and low-intensity cardio can help to keep up your cardiovascular endurance, but resistance training is the #1 secret to staying young, active, and fit well into your later years. Not only will stronger muscles protect your bones and joints more effectively, but you’ll find that you move more easily and have a much lower injury risk.
6. Drink More Water – The main ingredient you can give your body to prevent aging is water! Water is critical for hydration, and it helps to keep everything in your body healthy—your skin, your internal organs, your digestive system, your metabolism, your liver, everything. Make it a point to drink at least 3 liters of water per day!
7. Eat and Drink Less Sugar – Sugar ages your body far faster than you might realize. Not only does it pack on the pounds of unhealthy body fat and clog your arteries, but it decreases your immune efficiency, messes with your blood sugar levels, and leads to skin problems. You’ll find that cutting back on sugar will clear up your skin, improve your hair health, keep your teeth healthier for many more years to come, and make you healthier in literally every aspect of your life.
8. Cleanse and Moisturize – Taking care of your skin is a multi-step process, but there should always be two steps in your routine: 1) cleansing to get rid of dead skin cells, pollutants, and cosmetics; and 2) moisturizing to add a layer of protective oil between your skin and sunlight, toxins, and pollutants, and locking in nutrients.
9. Improve the Function of Your Metabolism – A healthy metabolism burns off excess fats, keeping your body tight and trim and preventing aging. Exercise is the #1 metabolism booster, but you can try all kinds of things, from remedies (like green tea and yerba mate) to eating a healthier, metabolism-friendly whole foods diet.
10. Care for Your Mental Health – Meditation, mindfulness practices, stress management, and good emotional self-care will keep your mind sharp and stop mental aging. Trust us, if you’re dealing with depression, anxiety, and stress, you’ll feel a lot older than you really are. Caring for your mind is as important as caring for your body!